Sunday, August 1, 2010

Uganda Adventure: Day 12; Mountains of the Moon

Things are usually better in the morning. For me, this morning they were.

Last evening, the group went to dinner with the bishop, but I stayed at the hotel. The quiet and solitude was better for my acking body. I used the computer for a bit, and then ordered dinner. After more than 24 hours of not eating almost anything, I was a bit hungry. Having an appetite is a good thing! I saw someone eating what looked, and was served as, fajitas, and I felt the craving for it. It was actually sweet and sour pork, the sauce still bubbling when they brought it. It was too much food, and cautious not to overeat again, I stopped when I was full. No dogie bag here. It was good dinner.

I took some Pepto again, just in case, Omega 3, and slept really good. Feeling much better in the morning. Avoided the eggs in the morning, and instead had cereal for a change. I guess I had eggs every single morning here, and my body just said enough. Sometimes you gotta listen to what the body says.

We were supposed to go to some hot springs park today, a full day event, with lots of driving. The group told me last night that they changed the plans and we would go to a much closer place, caves, to look at the stalactites and stalagmites. They didn't think I was good enough for the hot springs, and I felt really bad that they changed the plans because of me. I could have just stayed here at the hotel and they go. I was glad we'd have a shorted drive, though; it's getting a bit old, and we still have plenty of it left to do.

Mountains of the MoonMountains of the MoonMountains of the MoonHowever, our driver never showed up! As we grew accustomed that things here are not always on time, we were still hopeful he'll come, even after an hour. But he never did. We didn't have his number, and fr. Izzy was away the whole day, and his phone turned off. But, it was OK. The rest might have been just what the doctor had ordered. I just wish their free Internet here was any good, so I could upload some photos! The entire day I think I was able to upload just five!

When father came back in the afternoon, he called the driver (who apparently was waiting for a call from him the whole day) and he came because I wanted to go to a shop downtown before we leave. I went there looking for a drum that I saw a week ago, but they only had one left that was damaged. :( Maybe in Kampala.

Another "it's a small world" story: Austin, here at the hotel, saw his neighbour from Goa from when they were little! He lives in Kampala and is here on vacation with his family. They practically lived next door. Amazing!

Many Indians live in Uganda, but they, nor anyone else, can not become a citizen unless one of their parents is Ugandan. Even children born here are not citizens. There are other quests here from other parts of Uganda and some local young people just dancing at the bar.

Tomorrow is a big day of celebrations again. I'll have to watch not to eat too much. Low calorie breakfast and carrots and chips for lunch felt very good today.

No comments: