Saturday, July 31, 2010

Uganda Adventure: Day 11; To Fort Portal

Today I felt sick. And I didn’t like it.

Yellow weavers at breakfastI don’t what it is, but my stomach felt really heavy. It made me nauseated and quite uncomfortable. I also felt very weak and even walking required a lot of effort. I don’t know the symptoms of many African illnesses, but at least I wasn’t running a fever which is one of the symptoms of malaria. I think it’s just some bacteria.
I made myself get some toast for breakfast, after dreadful packing. No coffee. Since I skipped dinner, I had to put something in because I took Imodium and I am still taking the malaria pills. I think this may be because I’ve been eating a lot in the last few days at this resort, three full, cooked meals each day, to which I am not used.

BaboonBaboon mamaThe good, and the bed, thing was that we were traveling today, so I wasn’t going to miss too much. As a gift, as we were driving (7 km) out of the part, we got to see a large herd of elephants crossing the road in front of us AND we saw baboons! They came right to the van, as if begging for handouts, but still somewhat sheepish. We started throwing them granola bars and bananas from the lunch packets(which we were probably not allowed to do), and they had quite an appetite. Soon, several more came out of the bushes. We left when we run out of food, and they starting running behind us. :) Nice send of.

Also as a gift, we avoided an almost sure head on collision, when an SUV came speeding toward us in that low visible bush park area!

The drive to Fort Portal was about 3.5 hours, half of which I spent lying down. To my embarrassment, we stopped as the pharmacy in the town, run by the sisters. I know I don’t have much control over it, but I didn’t like being the weak on in the group. They gave me some Pepto-Bismol and omega 3 health supplements.

We’ll stay at the same Mountains of the Moon hotel for three nights. Today we started closing back the loop of or journey though Uganda, and are stopping at some of the same places. I am getting a bit tired of living out of the suitcases and re-packing. It’s kinda nice coming to somewhere familiar and not going through excitement curve at every place we stop. And this place I definitely didn’t mind visiting one more time.

I really hope this stomach bug goes away by…. tomorrow morning!

No comments: