Friday, July 30, 2010

Uganda Adventure: Day 10; Safari

5.45 am wake up call is early! But it's not that big of a deal if you are already awake since 4!

We gathered at the lobby for a 6.30 am departure. Several groups were there, enjoying their tea/coffee and muffins. We each took the same vehicle we came in, but a wild park tour guide came with us. Our driver overslept, so we left 30 min late. It is best to leave still at dark, when the animals are returning from their night hunting.

elephants close to the roadoutcast buffalosKobThe park is over 2000 square km, with different vegetation to accommodate different animals. We saw elephants crossing the trail in front of us, hogs, bucks, cobs, buffalos, guinea fowls, and several other birds. It took us about an hour to get to the area where lions were seen the day before. Everyone wants to see the lions.

Safari landscapesearching for lionslazy lionsWe stopped one other group to ask them if they've seen the lions, and that is how we knew where to go. We wouldn't have seen them from our trail. They were far away and looked just like rocks. 4-5 other vans were parked there, which gave it away that they are looking at something. Even with the binoculars, it was hard to distinguish the lions. Then, some of them got up, and that's when we could kind of recognize them. An outcast buffalo, and old male, was heading straight toward them. He walked right into the pack of 7-8 lions. We called him a suicidal buffalo. We though they would tear him apart. But, they were not hungry and didn't budge when he walked around them. Then a male lion carried away what they caught previously, a buck or a hog. We spent quite a while watching them, from the top of the van at a safe distance, until they all moved behind the bushes. It was nice to see it, but I wasn't too impressed. I guess I thought we'd see the lions much closer, like at the wild park in Florida I've been to, where they'd be just few feet away. The other animals were much closer to us.

aaah, poolBright red flowers of the Abyssinian Erythrina or Coral Tree (Erythrina abyssinica)mongooseWe came back just in time for breakfast, and then it was leisure time. I relaxed to the sounds of birds singing in the shade by the pool, and then went for a swim. The water was just right. The pool edge has a drop, and you can see the Kazinga channel down bellow, so from the right angle it appears as if the pool is continuing onto the lake. After the swim, I went for a Swedish massage (which was almost a spiritual experience!), followed by lunch. I know, it's a hard life, but someone's gotta do it. :)

At 4.30 we went for another game drive, because animals are again active in the evening. This time it was without a guide. What were we thinking? The best viewing was of the elephants just 10 min outside the lodge (this lodge reminds me of a Jurassic park a bit, with just a fence dividing people and the wild life). After that, we just drove for what seemed aimlessly looking for lions in a no-lion territory.

Oriole FinchRuzenzori Double-collared SunbirdWild Guinea fowlsThe bumpy ride, after that relaxing massage, did me no good. I wished I've just stayed and relaxed by the pool. When we came back, I went for a quick swim at the pool hoping to regain that peace from the afternoon. But when I went to my room, I just felt weak and my stomach was upset (which it was for the last few days) that I didn't even go to dinner. I tossed and turned the whole night, trying to find a position where I was lees nauseated.

Ugh, I still need to pack in the morning, since we are leaving at noon.
sunset on Lake Edward

No comments: