Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lost Mailbox Key

When I returned from the trip yesterday, I realized my set of keys, car, two house and mailbox key, are not in my purse. I think they probably fell out at my friend's house, but I don't know for sure, so I don't know if I'll ever get them back. Thankfully, my brother was at home when we arrived so I could get in.

I have a spare car and house keys, but not the one for the mailbox. I thought I would have to get the lock off and take it to a locksmith to create a new key. I turns out it is against the law to remove the mailbox lock. Somebody told me that the post office has a copy for all mailboxes and can give me a copy. This is also not true, at least for the cluster-mailboxes in the residential neighbourhoods. I then read somewhere online that there is a lock code inside each mailbox, and that I could, with a mirror and flashlight, read that code if the mailman opens the mailbox for me from the other side, and then just take that code to a locksmith to create a new key. Also not true. Apparently, replicating mailbox keys is also against the law.

So, what is one to do when the mailbox key is lost?

Call the local post office.

They don't have keys to individual residential mailboxes, but you can put an order for them to put in a new lock and give you a set of (3) new keys. This little service will cost you $25.

I don't even know why I need the mailbox. I now wonder if I could just cancel all my mail, like Kramer tried in Seinfeld. :)

No comments: