Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Uganda Adventure: Day 15; Kampala

Today is our last full day in Uganda. Tomorrow we start our travel back to the States. :( and :) Sad and happy. Sad because a good vacation is coming to an end. Happy to get back to people and things I've been missing.

After breakfast, again the Spanish omelets, the driver took the four of us to the arts and crafts village, just behind the National Theatre. It was just what I was looking for. The local crafts; woodwork, baskets, paintings, drums, African shirts, t-shirts, jewelry,..... It's like s strip mall, relatively small, maybe 40 tiny little stores that are packed with stuff.

KampalaKampalaparrots!We told the driver we'd be back in 2 hours, but it took me over an hour just to go through each store to see what's in them. Then I went back and started deciding what to buy. They have really good deals, no more expensive than in the little towns out west. We ended up staying for 3 hours, and fr. JC took the boda-boda back to the hotel. We had a light lunch when we returned around 4, but then there was no other plan for the rest of the afternoon. I then decided to go back to the market, because I felt rushed in the morning. And I went on foot. I got the directions from the hotel personnel, and it took me less than 15 min to get there. I was just fine. And I finally got to see the parrots, in the city. They were on a billboard ad for printing. :)

In the evening, the family went to dinner with the friends they met at Mountains of the Moon hotel, and fr. Izzy came with fr. Tony, and fr. JC and I went to dinner with them. I was in a nice company! The dinner was at a wonderful restaurant, the Lawns, where there is very tight security (they even check the bags). The dinner was fantastic, and the setting was beautiful. Beautifully designed lawn with huge trees, comfortable cushoiny chairs, and a spacious porch. I was surprised when I looked through the menu that I even craved some things, like chocolate, yogurt, even ice cream! I guess I am ready to go home. :)

I still have some packing to do, but it's good that we don't have to leave very early. Our flight is at 5 PM. I will have 11 hours in Washington DC, so Ada and I plan to go down town. That still seems too far away to think any further. I still want to take in more of Uganda while I still can.

No comments: