Friday, July 18, 2008

Stations of the Cross


Friday was out last day for the catechises at the St. Paul's chapel. This time it was led by bishop Rocco from Papua New Genia. His grandfather was brother of blessed Peter To Rot, and most of their family is in some religious order. Bishop Rocco is a very energetic priest and a good preacher. That morning I woke up with a sore throat. I took some medicine, but still was feeling not myself, tired, sleepy, and not having energy for much. After the bishops talk, we had adoration before the Mass. (the day before it was after the Mass). I set there really not hard time praying. I just wanted to be there present and offer up the way I was feeling, and not have to say much. I was pitting myself and in a way complaining to myself that I am here in Australia and not having the desire for anything but take a nap at that moment. When the adoration was over, I lower my head to the pew until the start of the Mass. Just as I did that, a girl came up to the microphone to give witness. She shared how day before during the papal arrival she felt similar like I felt at that moment. She felt fluish, laid down on the ground, and complained how she is too tired to participate. That is exactly how I felt. And then she saw the faces of her friends, full of joy. She realized, and I at that moment too, how blessed we are to be here, how undeserving, and how what we feel right now is passing and we should take advantage of every moment. Something just light up inside me, I got up, and was like new. I heard what I needed to hear at that moment, and all my troubles of the moment went away. God is good.
At Mass we again had the company of 6 other priests next to the bishop, and the group from New Zealand sang a song in some language native to the bishop.
The only two events of the day were the Stations of the Cross, which were to be all around the city, live, and the performance at the opera in the evening. Our allocated location was Barangaroo, but we really didn't feel like going there again. It was all cement, dirty and not well connected with the city.We went over to the Sydney Opera to pick up the tickets, just to find out we have to wait until 6.30. We decided to stay around that area, and participate in the stations there. Even though my tag said Barangaroo, I was able to get inside the pilgrim viewing area, and be close to the 3 stations performed there. (pictures later) The first station was at St. Mary's Cathedral, where the pope was as well. Then Jesus, and other actors in the stations moved around the city for other stations. These were not ordinary 14 stations, but they were "scriptural" stations, that are used on special ocasions only. At the opera we viewed Jesus in front of Pilate, Scourging and taking up the cross.
Afterwards, we set in a cafe next to the opera house. The group didn't feel like eating the provided dinner (stew in a bag) and wanted to go to a restaurant. I felt so inclined to fast from the full meal that evening, and just joined for a stroll around the harbor.
We ended the evening with the Bethowen's Missa Solemnis at the Opera House. Wonderful performance. I was able to take few pictures inside as well.
Today, Saturday, we go on a pilgrimage to Randwick racecourse, and won't be back until Sunday evening.

No comments: