Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Countryside

Today was a day for getting out of the city. We went to Bijambare.

I have never heard for this place, but my mom went there with one of her groups. This trip was organized by their seniors' center, and about 65 people went. I was very hesitant to go. Partly because I wanted to spend as much time in Sarajevo as I could, partly because these were all seniors except handful of people who work there, and partly because mom didn't go with me to another trip the day before. That one was a last minute deal - rafting on Neretva! I know mom would not have enjoyed it, but it sounded so adventurous to me. Instead of trying to convince her right away, I dragged the decision until the evening, and then it was too late to get it on that. No point in having regrets later.

Bijambare is just 45 minutes from Sarajevo, but you feel totally far away in the country. It's a nature park surrounded by hills and great views. The organizers distributed a sandwich and juice to everyone at the parking lot, and then we walked to a picnic area. Since this center really promotes healthy living, they first had some exercises there, before the hike to the lodge. Some took a little tourist train, but we went through the woods. It was a nice little hike, but we took one wrong turn and after realizing we were on the wrong path some 15 minutes later, had to turn back. Some old ladies were so not OK with that, and complained all the way back. It's hard to work with some old folks.

The resting area around the lodge had many benches, so we had our lunches and coffee there. It was a nice area to relax, walk around, or just lay on the ground. Then they took us to a 45 min tour of a cave, which was a nice place to cool down. Afterwards the atmosphere got musical when one gentleman got out his guitar and we all sang some old traditional folk songs. Just like we used to do. We started our hike back around 3, got into the buses, and were at home by 4.30.

As if all that walking wasn't enough for us, mom and I again went for a stroll that evening down the avenue next to the river, Wilsonovo Setaliste. Since it's closed to traffic in the evenings, there are always many other walkers/bikers/joggers there.

I wish I brought my pedometer here with me to measure all the walking I have done. My feet and legs and hips are letting me know we've done quite a bit of walking! :)

No comments: