Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Latest Backyard Wildlife

Last year I had baby ducks in the rosemary bush. This year there is a bird's nest high up in the oak tree, and the newest addition: baby rabbits in the backyard!

I saw some fur on one spot of the lawn about 1-2 months ago. I carefully dug it up, fearing there might be a rat or some other animal inside. But the hole was empty. So, I just left it there, not making a connection at that moment where it was from, and was going to fill it up with dirt. But I never got around to it.

covered nestuncovered nestI remember seeing the same empty hole during the memorial day weekend, two weekends ago. I did see a rabbit laying down near the fence, and I thought it was strange how he relaxed it looked, his back legs stretched out behind it, instead of in its usual ready-to-jump pose. Then on Thursday the following week, while watering the lawn, I realized I didn't notice the hole any more. I searched for it, and discovered that it is covered with grass and leaves. Again I started removing the leaves and fur carefully, and then something moved inside! There were some babies in there!

Truthfully, I weren't sure if they were rats, my first instinct, or rabbits, because their ears were more round and flat on their head. But when I didn't see a long tail, I knew they were rabbits. There were 3 of them, all the same size, and when I poked them with the stick they squirmed around. They were completely covered with fur, but their eyes were closed. The hole was the size of a melon, and the lower part was completely lined with fur. I did my best to cover it back up and put some leaves on top.

3-4 days oldweek oldThe next day when I checked out the burrow it was hard to find again, because the mother had fixed my lousy job of hiding the hole, and had put more grass twigs on it so that no fur was visible. Nice job! I dug it up again, and was even brave to take the babies out in my hand (day after left photo). They were so soft and wiggly. :) I held them just for few seconds and then put them back in. This time I placed couple of sticks in X shape on top so that I would know if the mother comes back again. And she did! I think today (right photo) they are about 7 days old.

I found some helpful information on these sites,
HopperHome
Help..I Found a Baby Bunny!
including about the myth that mother would reject the babies if she senses human sent on them, and about monitoring her activity by placing the sticks on top. She apparently feeds them just for 5 minutes during the night by laying on top of the burrow while the babies nurse. The milk is so strong that so little keeps the babies going for 24 hours. They should open their eyes at about 10 day old, be inside the hole for 3-4 weeks, another week be hopping around and return inside to sleep, and then they'll leave, each their own way.

I plan to just let them be for now, and then fill the hole once they are gone.

No comments: