Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gone Wild

The bunnies have started their lives in the wild.

two weekstwo weeksafraid of the big world







When I took them out of the burrow on Sunday morning, at 15 days old according to my calculations, the middle one decided to hop out. He made two jumps and then I caught him. He felt really strong with his legs pushing against my hand to get away. I laid them all back in the hole and covered it. The last couple of times I checked on them there was a hole in the cover through which bunnies were visible. I guess they were peeking out.

The night before I tried feed them some lettuce leaves, but they were not interested.

ready to exploreready to exploreready to jumpOn Sunday evening my friend David came over to see the bunnies. As we walked out in the back yard, one bunny was sitting next to the burrow! It was that middle one. I took him, and handed the other two to David and his girlfriend. When I placed this middle one back in the hole, he jumped out again and continued hopping toward the fence. I went after him but he continued along the fence and into the bushed. Finally I was able to catch him under the bushes and tucked him back in the hole under the other two bunnies.

That was the last I saw them.

At 8 am Monday morning the hole was empty and there were no bunnies to be seen around. That middle one probably led them all into exploration.

Late Monday night I went back out to check again and as I turned on the porch lights and stepped out I saw the mom rabbit hop away from the burrow toward the bushes. I guess she was looking for them.

I hope they figure out this big world on their own.

After this experience, I actually wouldn't mind if the mama rabbit decides to use my yard for her next litter of bunnies. :)

bunny and I
And just when I thought all wildlife has left, I notice that there is a new birds' nest in the crape myrtle. It's small, maybe cardinals', and not used yet it seems. More babies to come! :)

No comments: