Monday, June 27, 2011

What Would I Do?

As I watched the video from the last post several times, and seeing different reactions from people, every time I was left with a question: What would I do in that situation?

The words of the song "I can only imagine" come to my mind right now. Would I stand there puzzled what was going on? Would I wait for someone else, or even several people, to kneel down before I did? Would I feel uncomfortable kneeling in the streets before my Lord, even if I was the only one? Would I recognize Jesus in that monstrance?

I mean, it's nice to think that (just as I would if this was inside a church) I would fall down to my knees, recognizing His presence. But would I have that faith on the streets? I had doubts.

Well, yesterday, I got my answer.

As we were congregating on the steps of the cathedral after the noon Mass, a Spanish Eucharistic procession was just arriving. They were walking all the way from San Jose church, almost 10 miles away! We stopped our conversations and turned toward the new crowd. There was music, singing, children in costumes, and then the priest who was carrying the monstrance under a canopy. It took me about a minute to realize they were coming up toward the steps. And as that bright host in the monstrance in priest's hands appeared in front of us, my heart smiled! And without thinking it, I came down to my knees in awe of His presence. The tears came down my face. There were cars and people passing by, and Jesus was there for all who had eyes of faith to see Him.

He blessed us. He touched our souls. And my faith was renewed.

No comments: