Sunday, January 23, 2011

Violated

Yesterday early afternoon my purse was stolen in front of La Madeline restaurant in North Austin. It was my fault, of course, for leaving it unattended. We set outside for a few minutes, and then realized it was too windy. When I placed all our glasses and cups on a tray to move us inside, I forgot the purse on the chair next to me. I only remembered it when we got up to leave the restaurant, but the purse was no longer on the chair.

I had so many things in that purse. Some big, some small, and many that I didn't even remember until the day after: car and house keys, cell phone, digital camera, cash, drivers license, credit and debit cards, check book, medical insurance card, many business cards, address book, rosary, mini calculator, mini mirror, mini scissors, chap-stick, lip gloss... I felt violated.

After looking for it for a few minutes around the corners and in the trash cans around, I went inside to use their telephone. I couldn't remember any numbers. Darn phone memory addiction. My brother had my spare car and house keys, but I couldn't remember his cell phone number to call him and find out where he is. He doesn't have a car, so I was thinking I would take a taxi to where he is, and then he would pay, because I didn't have any money with me. But without me knowing that he is at home, I wasn't going to just take a taxi there, and then wouldn't be able to pay for the ride.

The restaurant didn't have the white pages book either for me to look up land line numbers of some other friends. I tried to find one number using 411, but the number was no listed. One lady, hearing me trying to find the phone numbers, offered to let me use her iPad. Really nice of her. I couldn't find my brother's cell phone number in any of my emails, and he unfortunately was not on line at the time. I called couple of friends whose numbers I remembered, but they didn't pick up. Couldn't find unlisted numbers of few other friends. For a few moments I didn't know what to do next.

Then I started calling credit and debit card numbers to cancel those. Called 911, and they referred me to 311, Austin non-emergency Info Center. Through them I filled a police report, gave them descriptions and values of the purse content. They asked me if the restaurant had any surveillance camera, but they didn't. There was nothing else I could do from the restaurant. I needed to get to my work, where I had my brother's and few other phone numbers. I needed to get those spare keys, so I can get inside the house. I also stared to worry that whoever took the purse could now get to my house, because the address was on the checks and driver's license.

I returned the iPad, and explained to the lady where things are. She offered to take me to National Instruments. Great! It's really just 5 minutes away from the restaurant. She cleared her car a bit for us to sit, but it was still full of stuff. The minute we set in there, it started to be weird. Her car reminded me of images of those hoarders on TV. I told her to just get on Mopac, and go to Duval. She drove kind of nervously, didn't even put her seat-belt on, and constantly kept looking at us in the rear-view mirror. There was Christian music on the radio, so I kept assuring myself that she is a good person. But, she didn't go toward Mopac, and continued north-bound on 183 access road. I told her then to just go straight to 3rd light, which will be Duval, and then turn right. But she turned right on first light, Braker Ln. Hm, ok, I told her then to go all the way to Mopac, and then turn left. She kept in the right lane, still constantly looking back at us. It was really weird. When I reminded her to move to left lane, almost at the Mopac light, she moved all the way left, and pulled into the gas station. She said she had to stop there for a minute, had to use the bathroom. When she came back, she asked us if we could walk the rest of the way, because she doesn't really know us and doesn't feel comfortable driving us any more! Um, what?! A mile on a highway?! Because of the train rails under the overpass, we would have had to walk on the highway itself. Why didn't she tell us that at the restaurant? It was bright day, and mom and I empty handed certainly didn't look dangerous. I told her it's close, just one more exit, and she would be right there on Mopac, but she just said "I don't want to". And we got out of that car, baffled and stunned at what just happened.

Inside the gas station I told the clerk what just happened, and asked if there was someone else there who could drive us. since he was alone, he asked one customer, a young man to give us a ride. He was normal, works for Potbelly restaurant, and agreed to drive us. Thankfully, the main gate was open, so he dropped us right in front of the building. Someone just walked out, so I asked him to scan the badge for us to get in. I was finally at my desk.

My brother didn't pick up when I first called him. Urgh! Left him a message about what happened and that I needed him to come get us. I called a friend from the neighborhood, and told her I might need her to give me a ride. Called my brother again, and the first thing he says is: "I can't come get you because I was hit by a car!? What?!!! Mom started crying. She has lower tolerance to shocks. He explained that he was on his bicycle, on parking lot in front of Fiesta supermarket, when the car coming toward him decided to make a turn right in front of him. He hit the car in the corner, leaped over the bike, and landed on his head. Ambulance, firetruck, and police all came to the scene. The paramedics examined his head, neck, nose, checked vital signs, talked with him for a while, had him sign that he refused to go to the ER, and sent him home. But he was not in a condition to drive, of course. He had head and knee injuries, and his bike was all twisted.

That friend from the neighbourhood then called, and offered to come get us. Great. We finally have a way to get to those spare keys. In the mean time, I found a number of my neighbour across the street, who also works for NI, and asked for them to keep an eye on the house, still fearing the thief might come. I also called the Travis County Sheriff's Department asking them to send someone to patrol the street until I come back. I am not sure if they ever came.

My brother had a large bruise on his head at the hairline, and a huge bump on his forehead, and a pretty nasty wound on his nose. There were also scrapes and bumps on his knee and ankle, and his calf muscle was hurting. But his was walking and talking, and said the pain was not too bad.

At home, which we entered with caution, everything was fine. We locked both locks even though both keys were in the purse, but it would take longer to unlock. We left one room lit up entire night. I also tried calling my cell phone, but no one picked up.

I didn't sleep all too well, especially after I remembered I had $160 cash in that purse that I forgot about, and the address book with numbers from all over the world. And my special rosary with medals from different sentimental places.

It will take some time to let go of all those items. And to replace them. The Mass gospel reading today was about "leaving all things behind and following Christ" Quite fitting for me. Plus, I set next to a friend who just lost his sister. It puts things in perspective. I didn't loose anything that cannot be replaced (except some sentiments), even the photos I already all downloaded, and my brother was going to be OK.

Today I left the house with the smallest purse, with only a chap-stick and two keys in it. I am starting anew.

No comments: