Friday, January 14, 2011

Mayan Land: Day 1

Oh what a change! Today is Jan 14th, and I was playing in the Caribbean Sea! Oh, yeah!

Our flight arrived in Cancun last night just after 9, but then getting the rental car took way longer than what I would have anticipated. By the time we were on the road, it was close to 11.

Mom and I were still not over the recent experience with her luggage, so we packed just our carry-ons, not wanting to have to check any bags. Well, when we boarded in Austin, after nicely following their directions to board with our own section, by the time we got on the plane there was no more space in the overhead compartments for our two bags. We had to leave them at the front, where they tagged them and checked them to the final destination. We just then realized how much we were still uncomfortable with that fact about the flying, and we did not have faith in the airline to transport our bags on time. I kept telling myself I need to stop worrying because there is nothing I can do about it, and for reals, did I truly want to allow this to affect me so much. The bags would get here on time, or not, regardless of me worrying about it. They arrived with us.

When planning for this trip, renting the car made all the sense. It was about the same cost as the shuttle from the airport to the hotel for the two us. It would give us an opportunity to explore the area, especially if the weather is too cold for the beach. It seemed like the right choice. But, first, waiting that long to get the car, then being scared about not purchasing their insurance, and then actually trying to figure out the road signs - I started to have doubts about this decision. For example, I wasn't clear if crossed E meant do-not-enter or no parking. It didn't even cross my mind to check some facts about driving in Mexico before departing on this trip. At one point on the road I had almost a freak-out realization that on this trip I am the only leader and coordinator, and I didn’t quite feel prepared for it.

It took me couple of tries before we figured out the way out of the airport. After that, it was pretty much straight for about 45 minutes. The main road has many speed bumps, and few of them caught me by surprise. And they were very bumpy. The last couple of kilometers were tricky to figure out in the dark, but we finally made it to hotel just after midnight. We got our bracelets, just dropped off the bags in our ocean view room, and came down for dinner. Even this was in the middle of the night, and it's all inclusive, it still surprises me how many drunken people there are at these resorts.

After some six hours of sleep, I woke up at my usual work-day hour, but today I was in Playa! I was actually cold all night, because I put the fan on high and cracked up the temp setting thinking it will eventually heat up. Turns out, there is no heater, only AC, so it was blowing almost cold air the entire night. I brought my summer PJs, and there was only one thin blanked on the bed. We got extra blankets later. The good news was that the lukewarm shower water from last night was hot this morning, so I warmed up quickly.

This all-you-can-eat-and-drink deal is very demanding. : ) We went barely a couple of hours without eating or drinking something. And because we HAD to use all of our three-outfits-a-day, we had to leave the beach in the middle of the day and change for lunch. The sky completely cleared up after that, and I even got sunburned after just one hour of late afternoon sun. I know, it can be though. : )

And we had to cause some trouble. Mom almost got the lifeguard to jump in the water, because one big wave knocked her down as she was walking out to the beach. She scratched her hip, and had a little wardrobe trouble, but was ok. For breakfast and lunch we came just 5 minutes before closing, so we were grabbing the food right in front of the staff who were clearing the buffet. Mom wanted to take a picture by this root-like old tree trunk, and set on it thinking it’s an actual tree. But it was just a tree trunk the placed as a decoration. It then tilted and fell on its side, almost bringing mom down with it. We went for a walk just before dinner, and in the spare of the moment decided to try out eating at the sister-hotel Viva Wyndham Aztec. They told us as the reception that we cannot eat at the buffet at the other hotel, only in the themed restaurant for which we need to sing up in advance. But we went to the buffet restaurant there anyway. Nobody was checking the bracelets. We just wanted to try it out. : ) We stopped at another resort and joined in on some of their entertainment activities. The night ended with a 70s themed entertainment show.

When the beach cleared up just after 4 PM, I thought how these winter beach vacation days are ending too quickly. But the afternoon and evening were so eventful, that my opinion completely changed. It’s almost hard to believe we’ve been here less than 24 hours.

No comments: