Friday, May 21, 2010

Traveling to Uganda

I will be going to Uganda in a little less than two months.
I am going with a group from St. Albert church, and will be visiting several places, including national parks. I've never been to that continent, so the preparations include few extra things.

Today I picked up my passport with the visa for Uganda. The process of getting visa was very quick (I mailed my passport just 6 days before), and they didn't even complain about me not having an international immunization record for yellow fewer, although it was one of the documents I was supposed to send in.

The next item on the trip preparations list was to get the immunization shots. I don't have my medical record of my childhood immunization; due to all the destruction during the war. I have received some shots three years ago as part of the application for permanent residency. But there were still a few that I didn't get, and a few that are specific to Africa.

So, today I visited my doctor, and got four (4) recommended immunization shots, 2 in each arm: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Polio, and Meningococcal (meningitis). The Hep A & B are a series, so I have to go back in 1 month and again in 6 months. So far, ten hours later, I don't have any reaction except some sorenes, but let me tell you, getting those shots is not painless. Especially the meningococcal one. I can feel it working in there. So, for all the mothers out there: when your babies are getting the shots, do whatever you can to make your babies hurt less. Nurse them if you can so they are more relaxed. Don't let the nurse tell you what's easier for her. Do what's more comfortable for your little one.

Next I'll need to get a yellow fewer shot at the travel clinic, as regular doctors don't carry that, and get a prescription for typhoid, an oral medicine. I'll also pick up a prescription for malaria, which I'll take once a day during the travel and few days before and after. And the last peace of chemistry to carry with me is a medicine for diarrhea.

My body will be loaded with drugs, but better that than illness.

No comments: