Saturday, June 19, 2010

What To Wear On a Safari?

It's exactly one month before my trip to Africa, but I, being a big planner, like to at least start thinking about what to pack well in advance.

Couple of weeks ago, fr. Isidore had few of us from the group over at his house for an information meeting. We learned some valuable tips there, like, that we need head scarves on dusty safari roads or else our hair would be all dirty the whole day. Also, because of the pesky mosquitoes, it is preferable that we cover our skin as much as possible.

This week I looked up some safari web sites for ideas of what kind of clothing I would actually need. When going into the 'bush' to view the wild life, it is recommended to wear neutral colors, khaki, brown, and olive, to not scare the animals of make them charge at us. The temperatures should not be more than 85F, which is still hot for me, so I confirmed that people do wear shorts and t-shirts at these expeditions. The nights are cooler, and mosquitoes more active then, so longs sleeves are still necessary, and layers that can be shed are a good idea.

So, I looked in my closet and realized I only had three pairs of trousers, one shorts, and few shirts that match that description. Not enough for an 18 day trip. The stores that specialize in the safari clothing are super expensive, and such a splurge for me is not necessary. So, I visited few cheaper alternative stores, and got me a few items to complete my safari wardrobe.


neutral colored safari clothing

I just need to add shoes, jacket, few bright colored outfits for days/evenings in the towns, and some dressier ones for the Mass and fr. Isidore's anniversary celebrations at his home parish - and I can start packing!

No comments: