Friday, March 26, 2010

The Train is Here...

..Finally!

After some two years or so of delays, the capital metro train is finally in operation. Limited operation, but still, we have a train!

This was the first week that the train started transporting passengers, and it was free. The fare from the stop closest to my home to downtown will be $3.00, one way. The train currently runs just during the morning and afternoon rush hours, 5.30-9.30 AM and 3.00-7.30 PM. My commute to work is too short and not on the train route, but I was still hoping to catch a free ride this week to check it out. I looked at the schedule, and there were two evening trains from the Howard Ln station, between my home and work, that I could possibly take to downtown, at 5.15 and 5.51 PM. So, I was hoping to leave the work a bit early (5 PM for me is early), drive to Howard station, then ride that first train for 2-3 stations, maybe to Highland mall, and then just cross to the other side and jump on a train going north.

Well, I was giving a demo at work, and didn't get to leave till 5.05. Saw the train pass one light before I got to Howard Ln. I missed the 5.15 train. Went home for 20 min, and drove back to the same station. Parked and came on the platform 5 min before the train was supposed to come.

There were 10-15 people in line for each door! The cap metro employees were there, and were telling people that this train, like the previous one, was probably going to be all full, and if they parked somewhere else and need to get to another station, there is a bus waiting to take them there. One guy said he was at the platform 15 min before the previous train, and still wasn't able to get in. Nobody got on that train, because it was full and nobody came off at that station. So, he waited there for 45 min for this next, last train. By the way, it was so nice to see people waiting in line to get into the train. Not my experience from back home...

The train came, and it was full. Another cap metro employee was inside by the door, letting all of us outside know that they are full. Then one passenger made his way out the door, and she yelled they have space for one person. Only one person could come in. People in line were not making any moves, I assume because they all came with someone, so I said "ok, I 'volunteer'", and I walked in! I was the only one to catch that last free train from the Howard station!

A benefit of traveling solo, I guess.

The train was full! Well, actually, it is all relative. In Sarajevo, we would probably fit another 20 people in there, per car, at least.

People were chatting with each other, taking pictures, commenting on the area outside that none of us saw before because there are no roads there, and everyone I talked to was there just for fun. All were excited!
One lady was entertaining her girlfriends, and the rest of us, by sounding "La Cucaracha" melody. At a later point a group of teenagers were singing happy birthday to their friend.

The train ride was very smooth. Very few pumps, it was fast, and comfortable. One thing I noticed, though, with all those people standing, is that there are not enough hand rails to hold onto. I guess they didn't anticipate that many people riding the train! Another objection I had was that the AC was too cold. Maybe it will be nice in the summer, but I needed a sweater today.

I saw a lady that I know, and struck up a conversation with her and her friend. They were on that train since 3 PM, almost 3 hours! They gave me a flyer with map and schedules, which they were handing out at the stations earlier. After they got off at Highland mall, I took their seat. The seats were comfy! I was originally planning to go just few stations, but when I saw how many people were at those stations going north, I was concerned I wouldn't be able to get on that train, so I decided to just stay on this train and go all the way downtown and then back. :)

At each stop, the station name showed up on the display, and a recorded announcer, in both English and Spanish, let the passengers know the name of next station when we were getting close, although it was barely audible from all the chatter. In what seemed like a very short time, we reached downtown. Even passers-by were excited, and were waving at the people on the train. :) Some people got off, but all who were sitting down, were not leaving the train. We waited there for some 10-15 min, and then the train started going back.



I was actually expecting more people to be on the train going north, the commuters, but there were very few people at the next stops, I guess people didn't want to risk waiting for this last train, and get stranded because they couldn't get on it. The cap metro employees were congratulating each other on the successful end of this first week of operation.





By the time we got back to Howard Ln station, there were finally no people standing, and we could look at the scenery on both sides. I will have to look on a more detailed map at where the train exactly goes, because I really couldn't tell half of the time where we really were. That is one major difference between this train and the trains in other cities that have been using them for decades; that usually the area where the train goes, or at least around the stations, is full of business and shops, and this train route is mostly through some industrial or undeveloped areas. But, this is just a start, and I have high hopes that this is just a beginning of a better, more usable, public transportation system in Austin. (and is probably already way better than what these folks from Alaska are used to - just some car I spotted on the road driving home tonight)

No comments: