Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Birds And the Berries

These little bandits (they kinda look like ones with those black masks around their eyes) were gorging on the red berries on one of the trees in my backyard this morning.

I woke up at dawn (way too early!), and, with my eyes still barely open, noticed there was an unusually high number of birds flying around. And it went on and on. After about 15 minutes I finally got up to see some 50 little birds going from one tree, to the grass, to another tree. I stared at them for a while trying to figure out with my scratchy eyes what's going on. Then I realized they were grabbing the berries, running to a safe spot to eat it, and then coming back for more.

They were amusing to watch. I don't know what kind this is. They are about the size of cardinals, even have a little "hat", but are gray like finches, with a bit yellowish tummy and a hint of red above their tail. What a beautiful way to wake up!



After the feast, there were no more berries left on that side.

No comments: