Friday, June 8, 2012

Citizenship: Interview Letter Received

Yesterday I received the letter from USCIS outlining the details for my interview.

Wednesday, July 18th, at 8am in San Antonio!

8AM! In San Antonio!

Couldn't these people have checked that I live in Austin before scheduling me for such an early time in another city? Urgh! There is an option to reschedule by sending in this same form they sent me back, with explanation of why I need it rescheduled. There is no option to request a certain date or time, just to request that the appointment basically be moved from the currently scheduled time because that's the time you can't make it. But from what I read about it, it's not recommended unless it's really an emergency, like if I would be out of the country. And even then people/attorneys recommend rescheduling your flight rather than this interview. If rescheduled, my case could go to the end of the scheduling queue, and for some people that meant months, even years, of delay! That's how messed up the system is. 


So, I will not try to reschedule. I am still debating if I should get a hotel room and just go the night before, or leave super early, like 5.30 am, to avoid rush hour traffic delays. I've read about experience of someone going to that same office from Austin, and after getting lost, arriving 15 minutes late to the appointment and not being allowed to have the interview that day but having to reschedule. And they don't give out any phone number I could call from the road to let them know if I am a little late. And so, like so many people on different forums have said, it will be best to make it to this interview on time, and then hopefully have only one more appointment (for the oath ceremony) with this agency and then be done and over with it for good!

No comments: