Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Day in Austin

our streetbackyardbackyardIn Austin we get a snow-day once every few years. And it's an off-day even if it's just a little snowy precipitation. And this time we got a "lot" of it - in Austin standards.

It started snowing just before midnight, but it was more sleet than snow. By morning, we had a nice couple of inches of snow on the ground. My company announced a delayed opening until 9, but since I rarely ever go to work before 9, it didn't mean much to me. But still, roads in my neighbourhood were covered in icy snow, and since it was still below freezing I decided to delay my regular travel time to work, as well. The first thing out of bed I did was to put on winter clothes and go outside to play. :) Of course. I mean, it's not like the snow would last for more than one day, even few hours. No time to waste. Building a snowman was a must.

snowmansnowmanWe got way more snow than the last time we had snow in Austin, and because it was still bellow freezing, it didn't melt all the way until the next day. It was a bit icy, so the snowballs wouldn't pick up more snow just by rolling them - which is traditionally how a snowman is produced. I made a regular snowball and then had to just pile more snow on top of it and pack it down to build the snowman. Even then, it would stick more to my gloves than on the snowman. It took more time, but it was time spent playing in the snow! Mom helped as well, and it turned out to be one very happy, good looking snowman. And me - one very happy girl. :)

I did end up going to work after 11, and most people just worked remotely from home. The snowman survived more than 24 hours.

No comments: