Thursday, October 8, 2009

When You Pray For Patience...

...you may get what you asked for.

I've been counting down the days I have left till my 2 week follow up doctor's appointment. I was hoping he would tell me I can take the splint off early. In every challenge where I felt frustrated or self pitied, I would pray for patience and tell myself "You only have X days left till seeing the doctor" and "This too shall pass."

When I first scheduled the 2 week follow up, the doctor was all booked for the day that was 14 days after my initial visit, so I had to schedule for the 15th day, which was today. Then yesterday they called me from his office that he had a death in the family and is out today.

They were able to reschedule me on the short notice with my primary doctor later today. I waited some 20 min in the main waiting room, which was full with sick people with masks on their face, and I again felt anxious to get this over with. Then there was more waiting in the smaller room and a brief visit with the nurse. Then I heard the doc's voice outside saying her son has had a seizure in school and she had to leave right then. She came in to tell me the same and then took off. If the boy has the flu (his seizures are often triggered by fever), she is not coming back tomorrow.

All the doctors at their office were all booked for the day, and it was the same at the other location. I started to feel what this was. It was the answer to my prayer for more patience. So, when they almost frantically tried to book me for today at some facility in Round Rock or for an after hour urgent care clinic, I said no, I'll wait. I'll try again tomorrow with this doctor, and if she doesn't come to work then I'll try on Tuesday with the doctor who originally saw me. That will be one day before the three week mark, so I'll have bigger chances of having this thing taken off and not having to visit the doctor yet another time.

Yup, that's what you get when asking for more patience. :)

No comments: