Thursday, October 8, 2009

It's All Relative

The past two weeks with my right arm immobile were challenging. I long to wash my face with two hands, be able to sleep on my right side, use both hands when making a U-turn, and type with both hands.

But it's only one arm that I don't have a use of.

The other day in a restaurant I set next to a young man in a powered wheel chair. I observed him maneuver his dinner. His right arm was almost completely paralyzed, and he was using his left arm to hold the fork. Even the left arm was only partially functional, with the wrist locked in one position. He used the right arm as a support to prop the left arm to reach his plate and then bring the fork up to his mouth. He has probably done this for a long time, and has developed his system. It doesn't look easy, and it probably isn't.

Seeing this greater challenge I realized my situation is not that bad. It's all relative.

No comments: