Sunday, June 21, 2009

Made It To Sarajevo

After a failed first start, I left Austin a day later. My flight on the first day from Austin was delayed because the plane we were supposed to board was late coming in from Chicago. Since I only had one hour to catch the next flight in DC, and it was already late afternoon and no other connection was possible that evening, they booked me again for Friday. A different route, one less connection, but a 5 hour fly over in Vienna. I was pretty tired when I arrived to Sarajevo, not having really slept on the planes. But, I had a nice chat with an older gentlemen sitting next to me on the nine hour flight, and all my bags arrived at the same time with me.

It was hot that day in Sarajevo, 86F. And my mom's appartment is on the 5th floor, with no elevator. Plus, each of my bags was 50 lbs. And there is no AC or fans. I am spoiled living with the AC for the last 11 years. I was cranky and irritable. I decided I don't want to stay in the appartment that afternoon and eat lunch and have coffee with mom, but wanted to go out to some cooled down coffee shop. So we did, even though it was hot outside and there is some walking. I also was not going to be in Sarajevo for the next 6 days, so I wanted to soak in the city for a bit.

It was a good idea. I enjoyed the walk through the town, seeing people on the streets, having 'pita' at my favorite place, more walking and then coffee at a new place on a narrow bridge above a small waterfall. It was even chilly sitting by the water, and the weather was starting to change. By the time we got home it was already evening. I unpacked all the stuff I brought for mom, repacked my bag for the Turkey trip and fell asleep exausted by 10 PM in front of the TV. I was hoping to get a good night sleep.

No comments: