Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rock Climbing

Last night I went for the first time rock climbing. My friend Lindsey invited me to a Lady's Night at North Austin Rock Gym. The day pass, lesson, shoe and harness rental all came out to be just $13.50.
They first showed me how to climb with the harness, with another person on the ground loosening and tightening it. My arms were already hurting after just handling the rope for Lindsey, before I even started climbing! Then it was my turn, and I was able to make it to the top! Coming down was harder, and I wasn't comfortable sliding down the rope, so I just made my way down using the rocks.

Then our instructor came and the other girls gathered, about 6 of us. We started from a simple wall and climbed without ropes. Each rock was marked with a color, orange being the easiest, and we followed the same color all the way to the top. I was actually able to make it to the top, two times, on that first wall. After that we moved to two other walls, each a bit harder, and I only made it half way. By the last wall my hands and arms were so stiff and sore I just couldn't pull myself up any more.

I was proud of myself to try this new thing. Most people who were there seemed to really enjoy what they were doing, but I don't think this will be my thing. It requires a lot of muscle power, in the entire body, which I certainly don't have, and don't really have a desire for it, at least not right now. It does not really require much cardio endurance fitness, and I would rather work on that.

No comments: