Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I Just Saved a Bunch Of Money On My Car Insurance...

...not by switching companies, but simply by dropping the comprehensive coverage from my policy, and sticking only with liability.
I've been meaning to do this ever since my car was damaged by hail 4 years ago, and I didn't fix it but just deposited the insurance check. My car was already payed for when it suffered the hail damaged, so I was not required to carry on comprehensive coverage, but I just never invested enough time to understand how this would really affect me.
The car back then was appraised to be just $500 more than what the damage was. So, since I didn't fix it, the value, for insurance purposes was just $500, which was less than what my deductible is. If I had a claim, the insurance would only cover up to the car value, minus the deductible, which means they wouldn't cover anything in my case.
With only the liability coverage, my premiums are cut in half, and my cost for car insurance is just $334 a year!
Now, if only this car would last me few more years before I have to look for a new, hybrid, one.

No comments: