Saturday, May 26, 2012

The X Factor

I had so much fun the other night at the live audience taping of the X Factor talent show. Now, I am not a big follower of this show, to be clear. I don't even know which tv network it is on nor when, and I also wasn't sure if they had more than singing on that show. I just know it's a talent show, one of several of that kind, with judges, one of whom is Simon Cowell. And I enjoy watching on those kind of shows some really good talent, and some people who come there obviously having no talent. So, when my friend Julie said she had an extra ticket, I excitedly decided to join her!

It was at the Frank Erwin Center, a huge place that fit 4329 of us in the audience. And this was just one of the four audition tapings in Austin. We parked downtown near my friend's work place, and took a cab. It turned out great because the line was already all the way around the building 45 min before the "arrival time" on the ticket. We actually only had "line vouchers", as everyone else in the line, which were just that, vouchers that allowed us to stand in line to get the real ticket. It was a bit hot that afternoon on the concrete with no shade, but I was just too excited to bother. It was just something out of the ordinary to experience, I was with a dear friend, we might be on tv for a second, I was going to see some celebrities, and hear some interesting performers. What's not to like!

The tapping actually started an hour after the time on the ticket, after everyone was seated and we, the audience, heard some "rules of conduct", welcomed the judges, and had some opportunity to take photos. Even thought the ticket said it will last 5 hours, which we really hoped was not true, the auditions lasted just over 2.5 hours. And the contestants didn't disappoint. The first one, a single mom, was probably the best, and has really set the bar high. It was hard for me to boo in the beginning, especially at the so-so ones, but there were few that were just so bad I had to close my ears. I am sure those will get special air time when the show airs.

We took a pedi-cab ride back to our cars, and it was another new, fun experience for me. All in all, it was a fun experience. Here are some photos.



Oh, and just one more thing. Julie and I were wondering out loud who got to sit in the front rows behind the judges, as those people will be on tv for sure. We actually laughed when 7-8 blonds paraded to the front row, and all set next to each other. They later separated them, to had a more mixed audience appearance, and alternated sleeveless with sleeved dresses. The lady next to us then said here daughter was there, and she was picked out of the line to go sit there. So, they actually picked "pretty people" out of the line to be on tv. Just so you know! :)

No comments: