Wednesday, May 16, 2012

5-Things Wednesday: The Road to Citizenship

This year I am FINALLY applying to become a US citizen. I has been a long, long process. After 14 years in this country, this year, God willing, I'll finally become a citizen. And that is actually not as long as people from some other countries had to endure. So, I am grateful that I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1. The first step, that really is the one that can take decades, is to get a green card. You cannot start thinking about naturalization until you've become a permanent resident. I remember when I was getting ready to first move to the US, one colleague of mine what are the way to get the green card. She told me there are three: a) come as a refugee (which for me was no longer an option because the war in Bosnia was over), b) marry a US citizen (sure, I wouldn't mind!), c) through employment. The last one was my avenue. So, after 2.5 year of school, one year on temporary work visa, I first got a "permanent" work visa in 2002. Five year later, in 2007 I became a permanent resident and got a green card. Five years later, this April, I became eligible to apply for citizenship!

2. Unlike for the permanent residency, my employer doesn't cover any part of the cost of the citizenship application. To go through our attorneys would have cost me twice as much and required three times as many documents as if I applied myself. So, on April 13th I sent in my application, 2 photos, and $680 directly to USCIS. After them acknowledging the acceptance, I am now in the Initial Review part of that process. They had me come to a local office in North Austin for fingerprinting on May 9th. They also took my photo there, that will probably be the one used on the citizenship certificate.

3. Once I am cleared by the FBI (I don't actually knows how they check the fingerprints), they'll schedule me for Testing and Interview. At that fingerprinting appointment I received a booklet to prepare for the civics testing. There are 100 questions about US history and government, and I need to get 6 out of 10 right to pass the test. The other part of the interview is just some basic English test. The testing is probably going to be in San Antonio, and they'll schedule me based on how many application they currently have.

4. Then I wait to receive the formal Decision in the mail. I don't really know how long it takes them to make a decision after the interview.

5. But even after being approved, I don't become a citizen until the official Oath Ceremony. From what I've heard, the entire process from sending in the papers to the ceremony is about 5 months, so I hope this to be some time in September. I was actually hoping it to be a month later because my mom would be here and she would like to come with me. I think it's at least a half day affair, but most of it is just sitting and waiting for the ceremony to start.

After the oath, I should get the certificate in the mail. It will be very official!

No comments: