Thursday, December 22, 2011

First Week of Mom's Visit

It has been a week since mom arrived. And it's been a busy one. We are adjusting nicely.

She is still a bit jet-legged, but is almost on Austin time. Every year when she arrives, the first thing she wants to do in the house is wash the windows. :) I never do it, but back in Bosnia that is at least a once-a-month chore, and since she notices dirty windows, she was cleaning one a day for the past week. A little exercise she calls it.

Our first outing was her second evening here, and we started with Costco and HEB, of all places. We are trying to figure out our meal and desert plans for the holidays, but didn't do well on the planning, so we had to go back shopping again few days later.

Saturday we had an early start. I finally finished decorating the Christmas tree, which I did in stages Then we went down south to the tint shop that did windows on my new car. There were few little bubbles they needed to fix, but once I was there I noticed even more bubbles on the read window. They said they would want to redo the entire window, instead of just touch up, so I'll have to come back in January. Good thing I have lifetime warranty on those.

Since we were already on Lamar, I wanted to stop at some food trailers for something sweet. I was looking for the one with those big, fat doughnuts, but couldn't remember its name or location. We went up and down Lamar, Congress, and 1st, asked few people, until we finally found Gourdough's back on Lamar just a few blocks from where we started. But we got a free doughnut for our effort! It was a nice day to sit outside and enjoy our desert.

We somewhat rushed home for an English class that was supposed to be at the library at 4 PM, but it got canceled. I then went to Mass and even though I was supposed to go to a birthday party that evening, I felt so tired that I just stayed in.

On Sunday we went to a concert at the Capitol. Austin Philharmonic Orchestra did a great job, and made it entertaining and engaging. After a short tour of the Capitol afterwards, we continued onto a shopping spree for another 3-4 hours, interrupted just by dinner in between.

Monday evening I went with friends to Celtic Christmas concert at the Cathedral, which was just a spectacular performance of pipes and drums, traditional Celtic instruments, music, and dance. I loved it so much that I had to go again the next evening with mom. She managed to stay awake till 10.45, which is when we got out of the church. It was a long night!

And so all of this fun would be more enjoyable if my little bird Ciro was not feeling so sick. He is getting worse and worse, barely is able to stand without falling. He has seizures almost every night, which keeps me awake. I feed him with baby food and baby bird food in the morning, to give him a jump start, although he eats throughout the day. It's just a sad, sad situation at home, and our hearts ache to see him that way. :(

No comments: