Monday, October 10, 2011

Blueberry Ice Cream

I'm not a huge ice cream fan. I would not order it for a desert or buy for myself in a store. But now that I have the ice cream maker I like to try make, and eat, different ice creams that I know exactly what they are made of. My mom loves ice creams, and we always have to have some in the freezer when she is here. So this gives me a good practice for when she comes back this winter.

I am still learning the ins and outs of ice cream making, but I was pleased with this recipe. I combined several recipes I found on-line, and the one I came up bellow is the simplest for me. I got two containers of fresh blueberries, so I'll be making some extra to freeze 'till winter, perhaps. I like tart flavors, and this one goes really well with chocolate. It uses coriander, which supposedly mixes well with blueberries. Enjoy!

Makes 1 quart.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

•1/2 - 1 cup sugar (I found 1/2 cup to be too sour)
•2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
•1 Tbsp. lemon juice
•1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
•1/4 tsp. ground coriander
•Pinch of salt
•1 cup of heavy (whipping) cream
•1 cup of Half and Half cream

Preparation:

1. Dissolve sugar in 1/4 cup water in a medium sauce pan over low heat.

2. When sugar is dissolved, add berries, lemon juice, vanilla extract, coriander, and salt.

3. Bring to boil then cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to burst (about 5 minutes).

4. Remove from heat and in blender puree until smooth. You may also want to strain the mash before cooling (it will harden after cooling)

5. Cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator.

6. Thoroughly combine berries and cream. Pour into ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer directions.

No comments: