Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas With the Family









Oh what a wonderful day it was!

I went to the Midnight Mass at the Cathedral, which started with Carols & Lessons at 11PM. Even at 11 the church was almost completely packed, and I barely managed to squeeze into one of the last few empty seats - the benefit of entering the church solo. People who arrived just ten minutes later had to stand on the sides. The church was warm, decorated, people dressed festively, and four priests plus the bishop were celebrating! And I got another little present from the Holy Spirit...loved it! :)

I didn't get to bed until 3am. My godmother called me just after 9am on Christmas Day. I was just waking up, but am so glad we got to talk, even for just a brief time. Then I got up, put some logs in the fireplace, and mom and I had our long morning coffee together. Then my brother got up and joined us. He bought several gallons of special milk and started making some cheese, four different kinds over the next couple of days. Mom made us some puffy pastries and we had breakfast at 1pm. We were in no rush. Then, we opened our gifts, taking turns. Mom's luggage still didn't arrive, so we will have another round of presents, hopefully by the New Year's Day.









As I cleaned up all the paper and put away the presents and boxes, mom took a nap, and Zoran continued with cheese making.

In the late afternoon we went for a walk in our neighbourhood. It was very cold, around 40F, but sunny and crispy, just as the Christmas Day in Austin should be.

When we got back, we turned on the fireplace again, and watched the Christmas story on the TV. It was I think the 5th repeat of it on that day, so we watched it in pieces and finished some time later that evening. Then we all got cozy on my long couch and Zoran setup up for us to watch a movie on Netflix. It was an Italian movie, about a middle age man who for a few days got to take care of his elderly mother and three other old ladies. We though our mom would enjoy it, and she did. I made us plates to sample the food we made the day before, and also try Zoran's two cheeses, and sipped on some beer, which mom rarely gets to do. It was such a lovely evening, just sitting together like that, next to the fire, leisurely snacking on 'meze' food, and watching that movie that somewhat relates to where we are in life today. I just kept thinking how I wanted to savor that warm, happy moment.

We actually never had a real dinner that evening. We were so full on just that finger food. But we did make some room for desert. :) Christmas Chocolate Log.

Oh, what a glorious, peaceful, memorable day this was!

No comments: