Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Tree Is No More

The second tree in the front yard is gone. It has been struggling ever since I moved in here. I had it trimmed of all (completely) dead branches this spring, which there were many already back then. I also gave it feeding and extra water, all in the hopes of giving it a chance to recover. But, it seems it just needed to be put out of its misery, as one lady at home depot had told me.

tree is gonebefore the trimming1.5 years agoLast weekend, while I was trimming the bushes, my next door neighbour came over and just offered to cut the tree down. What a nice man. He has bought himself a chain saw recently, and just enjoys working with it, but seems he has run out of trees in his yard. :) So, he cut it down, and I let him take the wood for their outdoor fire pit.

Now I plan on getting another tree for the front yard sometime this winter. I still have to do some research on when to plant, what is available, is resilient to TX heat and occasional droughts, lack of care, doesn't suffer if I put grass weed&feed around it, has leaves for most of the year, and maybe have a nice bloom. Couple of years ago I had another pine tree cut down from the front yard. It died after moth infestation. I hope there is nothing in the ground that is causing these trees to die.

If you have any suggestions, please send them my way.

2 comments:

Adam said...

From what I remember when we did this a few years ago: south side of the house gets most sun exposure for our location, therefore you want deciduous trees on the south side to block for summer and allow the sun for winter. You want evergreens on the north side to block northern winds all year. We went with chinquapin oak on the south and live oak on the north. Both are doing well. Remember "sleep, creep, leap" - first year no growth, second little, third they'll take off.

love-birds lover said...

Thanks for that advice. I didn't think about the northern winds. This is the north side, and I certainly like the idea of not having to rake leaves for evergreens. Our neighbourhood has many live oaks, so it would "blend in". :)