Monday, December 7, 2009

Need vs. Want

Yesterday I was playing little St. Nick's helper.

At my company, every year before Christmas we have a giving tree campaign. Next to a 2-story tall and well decorated Christmas tree is a table with couple of small trees adorned with tags of families in need of help. They apply through several charities in Austin, like Shoes for Kids, Salvation Army, and many others.

I came in on Saturday to look through the tags without rushing. Each Salvation Army tag had child's age, gender, shoe and clothes sizes at the top, and then space for Wants followed by the Needs section. Most wants listed some toys and games, the wishes that probably came from the child. The needs would usually list clothes, shoes, or some school supplies; something that the parent recognizes as the need, but cannot provide.

I was surprised at how many tags listed things like video games, Xbox, roller blades, mp3 players and such on the Needs list. Those people have clearly confused what the needs are. They either don't need help providing for the child, except for the toys, or they are so overpowered by the thought of disappointing their children by not getting them the toys they wanted, that they are neglecting any real needs that might be there. That also started me thinking in my life what is really a need vs. my want. I, too, sometimes burden myself by missing something that I want, and think I need.

The tag that spoke to me the most was of a little 8 year old boy, who likes transformers, cars, and wrestling. Those reminded me of my brother when he was that age, and how much he loved playing with little cars. The boy needed shoes and clothing, too. So, I went shopping for those items, and felt quite out of place in the kids isles. I observed the other kids there as they were picking toys from the shelves, while their parents weren't watching, to figure out which toys kids like better. The shoe size on the tag said 14, and since this store didn't carry that size, I had to ask for help figuring out what size equivalent to get. The pants also gave me trouble, as different models were even 5 inches longer in the same size.

I ended up getting two of each: two toys, including a set of little cars, one outfit for play with transformers on the shirt and dark tennis shoes, and one nicer outfit, for school maybe, with brown shoes. I put them all in a red mash bag, provided with the tags, and my heart was full of joy for that little boy who will be getting few more surprises from this little St. Nick's helper. :)

No comments: