Monday, December 14, 2009

Gaudete Sunday

Since my family didn't celebrate Christmas while I was growing up, I don't have any inherited holiday traditions. So, I try to establish some as I go along. Which is not always easy when you live in a single-person household.

During the Advent season, I try to focus on the internal preparation, but at the same time outwardly building up the anticipation of Christmas season (with a focus on season, not a day). As the title of this book I recently heard of "Happiness is an Internal Affair" suggests, I try to remind myself that the joy of this season does not come from all the outward signs.

The first Sunday of Advent (Hope) I put up an advent wreath.
That is all the decorating I want to do for that first week. I say a blessing and light the first candle during dinner, if I set it up early enough. Most years, the start of Advent catches me off guard, with how quickly it has arrived, that I take the wreath out of the box just at the end of the day. I don't even get a chance to take all other boxes down from the attic. It happens during the next week
I am usually very hopeful that this year I am really going to work hard on spiritual preparation. I think of new ways to spruce up the faith life this season.

The second weekend of Advent (Faith) I try to put up the lights on the house.
Somehow, the weather always seems to be really cold, rainy or windy when I do this. I often realize that a week has gone by without much internal preparation. The lights represent my renewed faith to allow the Lord to slow me down and let Him into places of my life that need His coming the most.

The third Sunday of Advent (Joy) I have reserved in the last several years for putting up and decorating a Christmas tree.
I get all excited about this one. Just like that pink candle we lit on this Sunday is slightly different, I make this day just a bit closer to Christmas and less about waiting. For those few hours while spreading up those tree branches, putting up small tree lights, and working on a pattern with ornaments, I allow myself to listen to just Christmas music. (I try to avoid Christmas music on the radio, flip the stations to find something else, until Christmas season, but by then most of them stop playing it.) I put a small nativity set under the tree, and hide the baby Jesus until His birth on Christmas. This year, I may have started another tradition. I invited my brother and his girlfriend over for dinner, and I made a feast out of it. I made my favorite whole grilled trout, "Restovani" potatoes, carrots, asparagus with lemon butter, spinach and strawberry salad, and my signature "birthday" cake. We had great wine, exchanged gifts and placed them under the tree, and ended the night with a cute movie.

Yeah, I think I like this new tradition. Spending this Sunday with the family adds even more happiness to this joyful Sunday.

No comments: