Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Week of Uncertainties: Day 4-8

On day four Ciro continued to make small progress. :) She even vocalized a bit in the morning and responded with motion when I called her. She only ate a bit of grape the night before, and few hand-fed seeds when we went for another feeding in morning at the vet. They took a more accurate weight measurement (since she was moving a lot yesterday) and she actually has 58 grams. Very slim!

I left her at home and setup a monitoring system of sorts; I couldn't find a monitoring software without time limitations, so I had skype connection open with my brother and he was on it during the day. I had all her bowls down on the floor level in the cage, but she was not used to eating there so she climbed up a few times looking for food at her usual place. She didn't eat anything during the day.

That evening we had another freak-out: She seemed willing to eat. She ate seeds, grape, and a treat. I then offered her some food from plate as I ate at the coffee table. She took a bite of a carrot, chewed for a second, and in time it took me to take a bite she wobbled to the edge of the table and fell down! I freaked out! This was certainly not the first time she fell off of that coffee table, but usually she just lands on her feet and moves on. She also landed on her feet this time, but when I picked her up I think she just freaked out too. Few seconds later she started to stiffen, raise her wings, tilt her head back, as if she was going to start seizing again. I held her, started getting that Valium and syringes out, looking at the watch to see how long it will last. But, thankfully, it last maybe just 15 sec. I think she was just in shock. She was fine after that, didn't feel weak like after a seizure, and was soon grooming her self in the cage. Whew! I felt just terrible....

On Thursday she continued to make progress. I figured out how to have a new skype account at home automatically pick up a video call when I call from work, so I was monitoring her every day since then. She spent 70% of daytime hours sleeping and the rest moving around in her cage. In the evening she climbed into her tent to sleep, which is where she usually sleeps, so it was a signal to me that she doesn't need the ICU of towels at the bottom any more.

Friday I got her some pallet mix at Petco, Kaytee Exact Rainbow Parakeet/Lovebird, but it may take weeks before she starts accepting it as the only food. I saw they also have Fruity and Veggie versions of this brand so I might look for those as well.

On Saturday we went in for another weigh in, and I was really hoping she has gained 1-2 grams, but she hasn't. The tech used two different methods to weigh her, and both times she was around 57.7gr. Last time I think they rounded it to 58gr. I offered her formula with applesauce few more times, but she started eating her own food more on her own. I guess it will just take some time to gain that little weight back. Who would have thought 2 grams is such a big deal.

Sunday afternoon we had another scare: she was in her tent taking a nap and chirping as she often does while napping. And out of the blue, still in the tent, she start seizing. I quickly grab her, struggling to pull her out of the tent, and held her little twitching body. Luckily, this again lasted just 15sec. She was fine few minutes later.

So that was our roller-coaster week. She is still not fully stable, easily flips if she moves too much, gets scared and then feels weak. I hope that as she continues to eat she will gain her energy back enough to be her normal self again.

No comments: