Saturday, October 16, 2010

Home Projects

It amazes me how one home project just leads into another. It never ends. And if I have the material and tools, I might even discover a project that I didn't think of before. :)

First, the furniture arrived today! It looks great. The mirror was a special order, so it may not be here for another month and a half.

I was hoping to get everything with the flooring/room done before the delivery guys come, but it just wasn't happening. The wall needed few touch ups where the wall decorations previously were. That's done. I just got a special replacement bulb for that track lighting - still needs to be installed. The transition under three doors is yet to be done. I needed to buy material, get the tools, cut the metal track, measure and cut the laminate t-transition, scrape a strip of linoleum, remove the padding, drill the concrete, install the track and lock in the transition. Cutting with a hand saw was tedious, but not too bad. Drilling the concrete was quite a workout. Both for me and for my 12V drill, which needed recharging after every 3.5 holes. It was a good break for me. Today I finally finished one door, but the other two are all ready for drilling.

I also moved the mattress back into this room, and the box-spring I decided to put in my brother's room, now that he has moved out. It has an IKEA bed-frame, with slats, that never worked quite right, were pulling apart and falling under the frame. My brother never installed one metal peace, not related to slats, so I first finished that. Then I tried my best to re-affix the metal edge on the inside, that had loose screws from damaged holes in the wood. Put the box-spring on and the mattress, and now the bed is more comfortable. While I was at it, I also gave the room a bit of cleaning and tiding up of boxes, papers, electronics, cables, and other stuff my brother left behind.

This was just a continuation of the clean-up-after-brother-moves-out project. Few days ago, I decided to deep clean his/guest bathroom. After everything else was wiped clean, I got to the shower, which really needed scrubbing. I made the tub and the tile clean-er, but the caulk still had black mold areas behind it that were not coming off, no matter how much cleaning I did. So, a natural solution for me was to scrape the old caulk and re-caulk it. It took me few evenings before all the caulk was off, and I was left with no fingerprints from using the scalpel blade for scraping. In few spots the grout between the tub and tile got cracked and fell out, so I'll first need to re-grout those areas and then re-caulk everything. That was put on hold until the bedroom is 100% done.

Next project: gutter guards.
After that, I'll probably need to replace the toilet tank in that guest bathroom, which has hairline-cracks all along one side. That's an accident just waiting to happen.
And after that, I really have to make a decision on and replace the garage door, which, for the last year, had needed a manual push up every time they open.

A never ending list of home projects.

No comments: