Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Is This What Nesting Is Like?

I went a little overboard with cooking last night. :)

I usually go grocery shopping on Saturday and then try to cook two meals on Sunday afternoon that last me through the week. I had visitors this Sunday, and didn't get to cook, so I decided to do it on Monday evening, because I had some extra time and knew I won't have it on other weeknights.

I still had one serving left over from the previous meal: sauted, or caramelized onions, baby carrots, green zucchini, and brussels sprouts, with thin veal schnitzel in a mushroom sauce, and cucumber and green onion in sour cream salad.

Since I already thawed ground beef and some left over stuffing mix the day before, I had to make the stuffed yellow zucchini that I had planned to make this weekend. The left over mix was not sufficient, so I had to add a bit more with the thawed ground beef mixed with rice, carrots and spices. That went into the oven for about 45 min.

But, I wasn't in the mood to wait and eat that for dinner last night. There were narrow sides of the zucchini left over that were not good for stuffing, so then I decided to use the zucchini to make pizza sauce. I saute the onions and garlic, then blend them in a mixer with tomatoes, zucchini, a little bit of bell pepper, catchup, spices and water. This then simmers for about 30 minutes. After it cools down, I pack it in jars and freeze the sauce.

But, I wasn't in the mood for pizza either, and didn't want to wait for the sauce to be ready and cool enough. The logical next move is to make something that I DO want to eat. I was craving some pasta. While the water was heating up to boil the pasta, I prepared the topping/sauce. First, I sauted mushrooms to get the water out, and added some vinegar to get the odor out. In another pan, then sauted onions and added chicken cubes. After they were brownish, I mixed them with mushrooms. When this was almost cooked through, I added sour cream to make a nice saucy consistency. This is then mixed in a bowl with some mayo, and topped over pasta. Salad: cherry tomatoes.

This all lasted just over an hour. I got the dinner that I wanted, and now have food for over a week. (and my hands still smell like garlic :()

Hungry, anyone? :)

No comments: