Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Seizures in Lovebirds

My little bird Ćiro (chee-rroh) suffers from occasional seizures. I never took him for testing at a vet, but have read that epilepsy is somewhat common in these birds. I have had birds for the past 25 years, but this is the first one that is sick this way. There are medications if the condition gets worse and more frequent, which would have to be taken daily. But, since it's a very small bird, doing a blood test is a risk, so for now I just try to help him through those sporadic episodes.

They usually last 1-2 minutes of twitching and crashing around, after which she is all limp and tired for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes they don't happen for weeks or few months, but other times they happen few days apart. I was not able to figure out what might trigger them; tried different diet, more sleep, more attention,....If I am home when it happens, I quickly grab her and hold her very tight which seems to help. She definitely likes being held and patted for a long, long time afterwards.

The body contortions, wing flapping, and bouncing off the floor always look very painful, but depending on where Ćiro is when the seizure starts, it can be quite dangerous because she seems to have no control over her body. One time she fell off the kitchen cabinet down to the floor. The other time while in the cage she managed to stuck both of her wings between the wires at the bottom and wasn't able to pull out.

But yesterday she took the worst fall so far. I was sitting down and she was on my hand. She made a motion as if she wanted to fly over to my shoulder, but then suddenly took off very high, all the way to the ceiling, then flew erratically zig-zag, into the ceiling, one wall, then next, and the finally from 9ft crashed down to the floor hitting edge of a chair. She started flapping and bouncing on the floor for few seconds before I could pull her out of that corner. I thought she broke something.

Poor thing. I held her for over an hour afterwards, stroking her head and letting her rest. Her legs didn't start fully functioning even then, and she was kinda wobbly. She was doing better when I came back from work, but is still hesitant to fly around.

No comments: